May 21, 2021
Dear Residents, Family Members and Staff:
Happy Friday! This week let me provide some answers to your Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Why do I still have to wear a mask? Although Governor Hogan announced that effective May 15th, an end to the statewide mask mandate, this only applied to non-healthcare settings. Edenton’s mix of independent living, assisted living and memory is a health care setting. Staff must continue to wear a mask except when on break and eating or drinking alone. Edenton Residents must still wear a mask except in these situations:
a. When you are outside (walking or sitting on the patio) and alone.
b. When you have a visitor in your independent apartment and you know their vaccination status or their risk status.
c. When you are sitting at the dining table and actively eating and drinking.
2. How do I plan to visit a Resident in either Garden House, Blossom Place, Fiddlers Green or Orchard Terrace?
a. Schedule your visit by calling Edenton (301) 694-3100
b. Arrive directly to the building you have made your appointment to be admitted, screened and temperature taken.
c. Staff will be provided a scheduled visitor list each morning to confirm you are listed and approved for visits.
3. What other information do I need to remember when visiting?
Scheduled inside Assisted Living visits:
1. Inside visits are 2 persons per Resident (in resident room)
2. Everyone must wear a mask. No matter if you are fully vaccinated or not.
3. Always practice good hand hygiene.
Scheduled outside Assisted Living visits:
1. A maximum of 6 visitors are permitted outside with the Resident.
2. Wear your mask unless you are actively eating and drinking.
3. Distance from one another if you are eating and drinking and you have your mask off.
4. Practice good hand hygiene and cleaning of tables or food surfaces.
Off campus scheduled visits for Assisted Living Residents:
1. Reduce unnecessary risks to our AL Residents by considering where you take them off campus. A personal home is preferred over a crowded public setting or public restaurant.
2. Request that only vaccinated persons be close to the Resident. The Resident should be distanced and wearing a mask if someone has not been vaccinated.
3. It is a good practice to still wear a mask when you are with them and not actively eating or drinking in your home.
4. Practice good hand hygiene and cleaning of surfaces.
5. The length of time for off campus scheduled visits should be with the Resident’s ability and stamina in mind.
4. Can children come and visit? Children may visit, but they are included in the number of visitors permitted per Resident. Children still must follow infection control activities and wear a mask (unless they are under the age of 2 years old). Consider outdoor visits when children are present so that they have more space to play and run around.
5. I know someone who wants a vaccine. Where should they go or what do they need to do? There are many options and places to receive the COVID-19 vaccine.
a. Edenton has made arrangements with Whitesell Pharmacy should a new Resident or staff member need or want a vaccination. They have both the Moderna and Janssen vaccines. Please talk to RaeAnn if you have questions about this service.
b. Contact the Frederick County Health Dept by calling them at
(301) 600-7900 or go to this website. COVID-19 Vaccine | Frederick County Health Department, MD (frederickcountymd.gov)
Beginning in June, I will begin to provide updates every other week unless a new situation develops, or important information needs to be disseminated. As always, if I can answer any question or provide you with information, please reach out to me or another member of our team.