May 20, 2022
Dear Residents, Family Members and Staff:
Many of you on campus may have been woken up by fire trucks arriving on campus in the early hours of today. Our security guard smelled some smoke in the Manor House basement, found the issue and called 911. A compressor for the sprinkler system locked up and overheated causing it to smoke. There is no fire, smoke or water damage. Our fire system is functioning but we will continue to conduct fire watch rounds until the motor is replaced.
On the pandemic front… Frederick County’s covid-19 community level moved to medium. The status rose from low to medium this week as the hospital census has gone up as well as the total number of cases in the area. Yesterday the Frederick County positivity rate was up to 12.83%.
At this level, people should:
- Consider wearing a mask indoors in public places. CDC recommends that people who are at high risk of complications from COVID talk to their healthcare provider about wearing a mask or taking other precautions.
- Get vaccinated/boosted
- Get tested if you have symptoms
All of the resident and staff tests conducted at Orchard Terrace this week came back negative. We will re-test Orchard Terrace residents next Tuesday. Please continue to self assess and test if you have any symptoms or if you have had an exposure to someone who has tested positive to the virus. Please do not visit or report to work if you are ill.
Please follow this guidance for our campus:
Independent Living –
- Wear a mask in the Manor House and other community indoor spaces
- Dining room – masks can be removed when actively eating and drinking
- Do not attend an activity or meal if you are not feeling well.
Assisted Living –
- Visitors MUST wear a mask at all times.
- Visitors will be permitted to screen and temp in at the buildings in the front desk logbooks.
- Children who can not wear a mask, must visit with Resident outside.
- Guest meals are still not permitted in the AL dining rooms. If you wish to dine with your AL Resident, please call us to make arrangement to dine in the main dining room.
- Visits must occur in the Resident room or outdoors when weather permits.
- Call and schedule off campus outings and medical appointments for the AL resident so that we can assist in preparing for the outing.
If you have not received a booster vaccine, I strongly encourage you to consider your booster vaccine. If this dose can help you avoid becoming infected or minimize symptoms, this is important.
Thank you for your continued understanding and patience as we continue to navigate the impact of Covid – 19.